How to Choose Your Back Surgeon
• Get a personal recommendation from a friend, your family, or your family doctor.
• Select a board certified, fellowship trained, orthopaedic spine surgeon with additional training in spine surgery whose practice is primarily devoted to the adult degenerative spine.
• An orthopaedic spine surgeon doesn’t take shortcuts. Their treatment recommendation will include a thorough examination and diagnostic tests necessary to plan treatment. There is no substitute for having all the information that these diagnostic tests can provide. This is one area where taking shortcuts (skipping diagnostic tests) can lead to improper diagnosis and treatment.
• Choose an orthopaedic spine surgeon who has invested in new techniques and staff training to keep your care “state of the art”.
• Select an orthopaedic spine surgeon who will work with you on an individualized patient financial agreement program.
When to Call Your Orthopedic Spine Care Specialist
Consult your orthopaedic and spine care specialist at SpineCenterAtlanta if you have back, neck, shoulder, or hip pain that is interfering with your daily life. If you have pain while doing an activity, after doing an activity, or you cannot do an activity because it’s too painful, it’s time to see your doctor for a thorough evaluation.
If you are experiencing a loss of bladder or bowel control, which may be accompanied by numbness and tingling in the groin or genital area, you may have a herniated lumbar disc (the disc herniation is pressing on the nerves which control the bladder and bowel).
This is an emergency and you should go to an emergency room immediately or dial 911.
After Surgery, When to Call Your Surgeon
If you feel that you are in an emergency situation, call 911 or go to your closest hospital emergency room immediately.
Some reasons to call your surgeon include:
• Increased pain or swelling
• Unusual redness, heat, or drainage at the incision site
• Trouble breathing or chest pains
• Fever over 101°F
Contact our Atlanta Orthopedic Spine Surgeons Dr Julio Petilon MD (pictured) or Dr. James Chappuis MD FACS today to schedule a consultation.